Sunday 16 August 2015

Iitti church 16.8.2015

Today's church is my home church. This Sunday morning I participated a regular service of worship. Afterwords I took my dogs for a little walk to wait that all church visitors had left so I could take my photos.


This little wooden church with a dutch style roof was built in 1693 and is therefore one of only 15 wooden churches from this period left in whole country. This church is the second one in Iitti and it had withstood some difficult times. Oral traditions tell, during the Great Northern War Russians used it as horse stable and it was in such bad shape that it was almost pulled down, but luckily some mansion owners felt sense of duty and donated for the church. The altar painting by Felix Frang is from 1917 and it portrays crucifixion of Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment