Monday 27 July 2015

Kymi church 27.7.2015

I visited my parents in Kotka and my mother and I went shopping. I decided to stop at this church. The family of my mother comes from this region, so we have had many ceremonies - for example weddings and funerals - there. 


This present church of Kymi is the second oldest building still in use in whole Kotka. It was inaugurated in midsummer 1851. The neoclassical empire style church was built of wood and stone following C. L. Engel's design. The altar painting is called Jesus in Gethsemane was painted by Berndt Godenhjelm in 1865. The previous wooden church of Kymi burned in 1837 and as the following church was not even completely finished in 1843 it was destroyed by arson. My mother knew it was the sacristan who burned the church for a reason, but why, that didn't she remember and unfortunately I also found nothing about it in internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment